Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bike racing

I am trying something new and scary. I know a coworker and have met a few people in the past who ride and race for a road biking team. Lately I have lots of extra energy and no good outlet besides thinking too much about things that shouldn't be overanalyzed (anyone that knows me understands this one). For the past two years, my coworker, Jay, has suggested that I try it out. It is a larger time commitment than anything else I can find and so I have not been ready to commit. However, lately, it seems like the right thing to be doing for many reasons. I am not eager to tell those besides my close friends because if it doesn't work out I will feel bad. BUT I am interested in sharing my thoughts and experiences as a someone trying something completely new and different. So far, attended a few "meet the team" rides. Anyone interested is invited to go on a ride of leisurely pace and chat with the team. One team is all female and stuck out above the rest for cohesion and support for new racers. I immediately loved their attitude. I went to their team meeting and it was about 15 women crowded around the living room of one of the more senior members of the team. I loved being around all women for once. We all chatted a bit and introduced ourselves. Discussed team requirements, etc. I went home still not sure if I was ready for the commitment and the potential failure. Then come the last day to fill out the form to sign up I took the leap.

Two weeks have gone by. We had our annual mandatory team meeting. To pay our dues for the cycling organizations which require you to be a member to race, to try on this years clothing and to order the team "kit" (the name for the jersey and shorts/gear that you have to buy to be part of the team, you wear it riding and racing, it has the names of the sponsors on it). We stood around a room watching a slide show of last years races on flat screen tv before the meeting started. These women are AMAZING! They are so confident and strong and just beautiful. I immediately love just to be around them. I still don't really understand the difference in a bond between people who train together and that of just "casual" friends. I find the friendships with some type of more extreme hobby to be the most fulfilling. I really loved spending time with my climbing team for instance two years ago... they are all people I will always feel close to. Anyway, I am kind of quiet and just observant of all that is going on around me. I tried on all the necessary clothing items and dropped a painful wad of cash on leg warmers, knee warmers, arm warmers, gloves, a vest, two sets of shorts and jerseys and 8 pairs of wool cycling socks... Ouch. But if I am going to be riding 6-10 hours a week, 4 to 5 days a week it will be money well spent.

Then the team rides started. The first ride I was driving in my car to meet them near the south end of Lake Washington. It was raining harder than I have ever seen it rain in Seattle. Cars were going 35 mph on I5. There was standing water 6 inches deep in some places. I wondered how in the HECK we were going to ride. Funny enough the rain cleared just before we went to ride. And stayed clear the whole time. That happens quite a bit. And I still feel privileged each time to be able to enjoy the break in the rain.

You may assume bike racing teams always ride fast on team rides. You may find this interesting, as did I at first... they are bike RACING teams, right? Well the beginning of training actually goes by riding slowly!! I have learned a little bit about cycling training, but there are people that make entire careers out of it. So I have tons more to learn. The first part of training is called "base." Our "base" miles are rides that we do lots of, and they are not too long--around 30 miles or so. Not too hilly. You build endurance this way. Later comes intervals and more high intensity stuff. So we ride around Seattle in either single or double pacelines. This is where the person up front does more work for awhile then "peels off" (moves to the side and slows down to allow the line to pass) and drops to the back. This rotation goes on for the whole ride. Taking turns doing the work. My favorite is the double pacelines so far. This is just because you can sit back and gab while you go quite fast without all of the effort normally required to do so, thanks to the draft. I just LOVE riding in a giant group of 100% women. I don't have a good reason besides I just get a crazy feeling of girl power ;)

So anyways, on 1 of the 3 team rides thus far, we were soaked to the bone. It really wasn't all that bad. But I am just loving riding with my team so far. They are the coolest bunch of women. One 3-time Ironman competitor who coaches running for marathons/half marathons for a living, a pilates instructor, and the list goes on. They rock! I feel so happy just riding along with them. So far I am keeping up decently well (hills are the only trouble spots for me). The "no-drop" rides end in mid-December. Which means if you can't keep up with the pace of the team, you are on your own to train... Not my idea of fun. I am nervous. I will just keep up my weekly riding and hopefully drop a few pounds... We'll see. :)

1 comment:

Bld424 said...

Wow, Mary. You are brave. It sounds like a very tough adventure. I think you have enough fortitude and energy to accomplish this. If you can do this... you can def. do labor. That's how I think of challenging things these days... and that seems like a challenge! I am happy you will be around such brave women.